Xero Product Video
Xero cloud accounting software was founded in 2006 in New Zealand. Their aim was to change the game for small business by connecting people with all the numbers they need, anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Designed to be used by small business professionals, Xero is accessible to anyone, meaning you don’t need to be an accountant or bookkeeper to use it. The easy to use, intuitive dashboard and user interface makes everyday accounting a breeze.
Today, Xero has the largest share of the UK cloud accounting market and boasts over 1,000,000 subscribers in 180 countries.
Xero’s best features
Xero is cloud-based so you can access your data, anytime, anywhere and on any device.
You don’t have to worry about updates, security, backups or any other technical headaches as these are all taken care of for you. Unlike keeping this data in an excel spreadsheet, there is no margin for error and leaves a clear audit trail. It’s safe, secure and real time.
You can register as many users as you need so you and your colleagues or business professionals you employ can all have access at the same time, no matter where everyone is located.
Xero connects automatically with your bank accounts meaning all your transactions appear in the database without you needing to import anything. You can just go ahead and reconcile with one click, saving you time you need to be spending elsewhere.
Xero has a mobile app you can download called Xero Touch for the ultimate mobile user experience. It means you can run your businesses outside of the office, enabling you to send invoices to customers and receive payments via internet banking without delay.
Xero is built to integrate with hundreds of popular business apps including CRM, Point of Sale and inventory meaning you can sync your main business functions to get a real time overview of your business health.
As every small business owners knows, cash flow is the key to success. The dashboard in Xero is designed to show your cash flow at a glance. You can see how much cash is in your bank account, which invoices are waiting to be paid and which customers are still to pay you. You can also easily keep an eye on revenue or wages.
You can customise your invoices with your own branding, layout and language. Xero can handle 160 currencies with exchange rates being updated hourly so international business is easy to achieve.
Your invoices are opened by your customer online, with a notification to you that it has been opened, so you can be sure they received and viewed it. You can even set up automatic billing via email and Xero handles it for you.
When it comes time to scrutinise the numbers, Xero runs fantastic management reports for you with links for you to click through to individual transactions, all in real time.
Quarterly VAT returns can be lodged in a couple of clicks.
Payroll is easily taken care of, with each slip being personalised or customised should you wish to. The number of employees you can pay for free is limited on the Starter plan but you can pay up to 200 employees for free on the Standard and Premium plans.
Xero Free Trial
Xero offers a free trial for 30 days with access to all features with unlimited users so you can have good play with it and see if it meets your business requirements.
There is a promotion running currently for new startups, which includes a 50% discounted subscription to Xero, free 12 month membership to Enterprise Nation and discounts with other well known software providers such as Shopify and Microsoft.
Who uses Xero?
Xero is for you if
- You are a small business owner looking to save time and money on your day to day accounting practices.
- Have a basic understanding of ledgers, invoicing, payroll and tax. The software is very simple and intuitive to use and can be accessed by your bookkeeper or accountant for more in depth accounting procedures.
- Would be customer support. Xero offer expert help 24/7 online and via their knowledge base and community forum. It is comforting to know you can pick up the phone and have someone talk you through your issue rather than waiting for up to 24 hours for an answer. After all Xero is supposed to save you time, not waste your time searching for answers. If you need that level of support you might want to consider a software product offering better support options.
Features & Options of Xero
- Financial: Accounting, sales, purchases, file storage, multi-currency.
- Banking: Bank feeds, manual statement imports, bank reconciliation.
- Tax: PAYE & National Insurance, VAT calculation and filing.
- Clients: Contact management, quotes, online invoicing and payments.
- Staff: Payroll, employee contact and pay records, expense reimbursement.
- Management: Dashboard, budget manager, cashflow, financial reports, business performance.
- Reporting: 35+reports.
Access & Support:
- Users: Unlimited users, access levels and permissions | External accountants.
- Apps: Android, iPhone, iPad, iWatch.
- Support: Online + Phone | 24/7.
Starter: £10/month; limited bills, invoices, bank transactions | Standard: £22/month; unlimited transactions | Premium: £27.50/month; multi-currency.
Payment Discounts: None.
Trial/Warranty: 30 day free trial.
Other Costs: Bank feeds (some) | Payroll – over 5 employees £1/month for each additional employee.
Integrations & Add-Ons
- Bills & Expenses: Receipt Bank, Expensify, Pocketsmith.
- Conversions: Movemybooks, XpressConvert.
- CRM: Capsule, Insightly, Constant Contact.
- Debtor tracking: Satago, Debtor Daddy, Chaser.
- Documents: Google Docs (via Zapier), Formitize, Boxkite.
- eCommerce: Shopify, TradeGecko, Carry The One.
- Inventory: Unleashed, TidyStock, DEAR Inventory.
- Invoicing + Jobs: WorflowMax, Harvest, Quotient.
- Payments: PayPal, GoCardless, TransferWise.
- Payroll + HR: Deputy, The Payroll Site, Payescape.
- Point of Sale: ClickPOS, Vend, Shopify.
- Reporting: Spotlight Reporting, CrunchBoards, Float.
- Time Tracking: Harvest, MinuteDock, Timely.
The rating score is a weighted average of ratings from these respected sources.