X-Cart Product Video
X-Cart is a different beast to the other eCommerce solutions here on BusinessKitbag.com. Rather than being a hosted platform where you upload your products, with X-Cart you buy a lifetime licence to use their software and you host it on your own server.
If you don’t have your own hosting solution, X-Cart can provide you options for this too - (additional cost - starts from $29.50/month).
Created back in 2001, Russian-based X-Cart is the grandfather of eCommerce solutions. Today, it boasts 35,000 online stores in 111 countries worldwide. The software is written in PHP/MySQL which means if you have a developer on hand, you can customise the software to add additional functions or features for maximum flexibility.
Who uses X-Cart?
X-Cart cart is ideal for mid to large sized eCommerce businesses or those who want advanced shopping cart functions. They can also offer a platform for multiple vendors to sell on a single site, eBay style.
The software also offers a free plugin for you add eCommerce functionality to an existing Wordpress website or blog. This does require you to pay the licence fee though, unlike with other eCommerce solutions, you can’t buy the ‘buy’ button in isolation.
Best Features of X-Cart
The features offered within X-Cart really are impressive, there is nothing much it can’t do. Once you purchase a licence, you are send an activation code and then you can go ahead and download the software.
The look and feel of X-Cart is very professional and the user interface easy to use once logged in.
X-Cart is built to be fully responsive, so no problem serving the mobile population. Once you have selected your theme, you can set about creating your store. The website builder is done by drag-and-drop modules and there are any number of additional features you can plug in which X-Cart integrates with.
They have created an easy one page checkout function for their latest version which makes checking out friction free. X-Cart supports all major payment gateways and does not charge transaction fees like some of its competitors.
It is possible to get a ‘buy’ button for your Facebook business page to take advantage of the billions of visitors Facebook has. You can also connect your eCommerce store to eBay and Amazon.
X-Cart offers you the ability to alter your site’s meta tags and page titles to enhance your SEO organic traffic performance. It also integrates with email management systems such as Mailchimp so you can create a newsletter or mail your subscribers with special offers.
The software is highly secure being 100% PCI-DSS compliant for safe payment acceptance and processing for your customers’ security.
Pricing & Options
X-Cart has a free option available for new eCommerce companies starting out. It comes without a few of the great features you might like such as multiple currencies, abandoned cart recovery, discount coupons and product reviews to name just a few. These features you get at the starting price of $495 for the lifetime licence (plus hosting costs).
Even if you do pay for the cheapest licence, there will still be additional costs for certain features like their Order Returns facility, which is included in their 'Ultimate' licence ($5,995 - ouch) but you can get as a one-off addition for $149.00.
Under the terms of your licence you are entitled to upgrades within the first 12 months of purchase but after that to access upgrades it costs an annual fee starting from $99.95 for paid plans.
If you have already subscribed to another eCommerce platform, X-Cart can migrate your existing site for you, but this carries a cost depending where you are migrating from.
They also offer an installation service at the cost of $75.00.
Hosting is a big one. As previously mentioned, you don’t have to use their hosting facility. If you do though, the pricing ranges from $29.95/month to $399/month.
It is worth noting you receive your licence for free when you subscribe to the Enhanced and Enterprise level plans. You also have extra support options, which if you subscribe to one of the cheaper plans, comes as an extra cost.
Support costs start from $99 for a single incident, $139 if it’s urgent or you can pay a subscription starting at $149/month or $82.50/annual.
- X-Cart is unlike its contemporaries as you own the software. With the likes of Shopify and EKM you are renting your eCommerce site, you never completely own it.
- 24/7 Customer support. They have a service centre based in the UK although the operating hours are almost, but not quite 24/7, with help available from 3am to 10pm. 24/7 will be email and their web based help-desk.
- Excellent built-in marketing and SEO functions. You can improve your site’s organic SEO performance and easily connect with customers.
- Extensive feature set, almost everything you can think of.
- Hosting is an additional cost. You can host your eCommerce site with any web hosting company it doesn’t have to be the option supplied by X-Cart.
- Unless you buy the 'Ultimate' licence there will be a few additional costs as it is likely you will want access to extra modules not included for the cheaper licences.
- Software upgrades after your initial licence purchase cost an annual fee once 12 months have elapsed.
- Pricing is very confusing.
Features & Options of X-Cart
- Design: There’s no need for a separate mobile storefront — X-Cart’s brand-new Crisp White skin automatically adapts when opened on a phone or a table.
- Storefront: Search-as-you-type by X-Cart. Boost your conversion rates with lightning-fast cloudsearch that enables real-time suggestions and spell-checking.
- Checkout: One step & multi-step checkouts for your choice. Recurring payments & ability to save credit cards. 120+ supported payment gateways.
- Shipping & Tax: Real-time shipping quotes, flexible tax system to define the rates, printed labels.
- Products: Unlimited number of items, individual or bulk editing, “call for price” option, advanced image processing.
- Orders: Advanced order management, custom order statuses, mobile admin app, returns & refunds.
- Sales Channels: Facebook, eBay, Amazon, Google Shopping, Nextag, Pricegrabber, Shopzilla and other channels.
- Marketing, SEO & Analytics: X‑Cart gives you all the tools you need to get top ranks and high CTR in organic search: clean and canonical URLs, configurable page titles and META tags, XML sitemap and rich snippets shown in search results.
- Multivendor: Several independent product providers share a single “virtual mall” for selling their goods and services — with a single storefront, a single cart and a single checkout.
- Upgrades, Security, Apps: One-click module installation, simple upgrade procedure, high-level security.
- Free: Small newcomers; all the essential features you need to start your online store.
- Business: US$495 lifetime license; Mid-sized and growing businesses.
- Multivendor: $1,495; Online Marketplace solution.
- Ultimate: $5,995; Top features plus top support.
- Free trial of all plans for 14 days, plus they have a free version you can use ongoing.
- Software upgrades. All plans include a one-year upgrade subscription, but paid plans will incur an annual fee, starting at $99.95/year for Business plans. This gives you access to the latest upgrades for your version. It is not obligatory but advisable.
- Hosting costs. X-Cart Hosting starts from $29.95/month, but you may choose an alternative web server hosting provider.
Integrations & Add-Ons
X-Cart integrates with a large number of add-ons across over 20 categories including accounting, auction, bookings, checkout, design, fulfilment, orders, marketing, payment processing, search, SEO, security, shipping, and translation.
The rating score is a weighted average of ratings from these respected sources.