99designs Product Video
We all know good branding and design can make a real difference to the credibility of a business but it can be a tough call as a small business owner to know where to turn to for help with logos, web design and branding.
What is 99designs and how does it work?
99designs started back in 2007 off the back of another project where small business owners were asking for help with these very issues.
99designs uses a unique process of making your design brief into a contest. As a small business owner, you provide 99designs with your brief, what your budget is and within 7 days you have a litany of great artwork to cast your eye over.
All work supplied is 100% original and on accepting a winning contestant, you own the copyright to the assets. Should it be that none of the designs meet your criteria then 99designs offer a 100% money back guarantee.
You chose one one their pricing plans, the higher the money, the more designers will take part. The fee or prize, the designer receives comes from the amount you paid upfront, when you commenced the contest.
Once the contest has started there are 4 stages:
- Qualifying round: The first 4 days of the contest are the Qualifying round. During this stage, the contest is open to all designers, and listed on their contest listings page. Designers submit designs, and the contest holder gives them feedback about what they like, and what they don’t. This is the designers’ chance to show off their skills, and the contest holder’s chance to see how responsive designers are to their feedback.
- Select finalists: At the end of the Qualifying round, the contest holder has up to 4 days to select up to 6 designers to move into the Final round of the contest. Once this step is complete, the contest will become guaranteed, which means the contest holder will no longer be able to ask for a refund on it.
- Final round: The Final round lasts for 3 days. During this round, the contest holder works closely with designers to help them revise the designs to perfection.
- Select winner: After the Final round ends, the contest holder has up to 2 weeks to review the submitted designs and select a winner.
Once a winner has been selected, a designer will usually make a few revisions if you need them to. They will provide you a vectorised image in PDF and an Adobe AI file formats.
To make sure your design is 100% original, 99designs suggest the following:
- First, ask the designer. Designers must declare any non-original work used, or risk account suspension.
- Try a reverse image search engine such as TinEye. This will look for similar images on the web. You can also upload the image to Google’s image search.
Not sure how to create your brief or how to express exactly what you're after? You can also contact one of 99designs Design Experts who can help you flesh out what your design brief should look like.
- A design contest is an ideal way for clients who don’t already have a freelance or in-house designer to have access to many different designers at once.
- 99designs lets clients see finished designs custom-made for their company, rather than committing to work with a designer based on their past work for other companies.
- The process is quick. The average contest lasts for one week, at the end of which time the client walks away with a finished design that’s ready to use.
- Design contests are very cost-effective. The client chooses the contest prize they want to pay, and know that designers will create designs for that price
- If clients aren’t satisfied with the designs submitted to their contests, 99designs offer a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Design Experts on hand to help you flesh out your design brief.
- The contest could be a waste of time if there are no designs that meet your criteria.
- It should be pointed out that 99designs have a particularly bad score on Trustpilot. It would seem through reading the reviews that the majority of the negative ones come from designers and not the small business owners using the service.
Features & Options of 99designs
- Build a design brief: Tell us about your business and what you need designed. Take your time. The more details, the better your designs.
- Pick a design package: Choose the design package that’s right for you. Quick tip, the larger the prize, the more designer entries you’ll have.
- Launch your contest: We share your design contest with our community of more than 1,128,000 designers. From Berlin to Bombay, professional designers will brainstorm ideas just for you. Receive dozens of designs: Designers submit designs to your contest round the clock. Log into your 99designs account each day to see their designs, and let them know what hits the mark.
- Give feedback: Use ratings, comments and private messages to help designers shape their ideas to your needs. The more detailed your feedback, the easier it will be to bring your design to life.
- Pick your favourite: After 7 days, choose the winner of your design contest. Your designer gets the prize money and you get full design copyright. Now download your design and make it work hard for you! 1-to-1 Projects: Discover a simple, smart way to source freelance design talent. We’ve curated the best designers so finding the right expert is easy.
Logo & identity, Web & app design, Business & advertising, Clothing & merchandise, Art & illustration, Packaging & label, Book & magazine, Other.
- Prices for design tasks vary according to their type – starting from £39. Each design category has four prices – Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, or you may set your own price, provided it is above the Bronze level price.
- 99designs also offer bundles to save you money, for example a logo social media pack. Bundles start from £229.
- All packages comes with a 100% money-back guarantee and full copyright ownership of the final design. All packages include the prize for your designer and all fees and commissions.
The rating score is a weighted average of ratings from these respected sources.