Asana Product Video
The roots of Asana started in the Facebook office in 2007.
Co-founder of Facebook Dustin Moskovitz was working on an apps database for employees at Facebook and found he needed a project management tool for the team to be able to collaborate more efficiently. He teamed up with one of his colleagues Justin Rosenstein, formerly a Google software engineer and created Asana.
The two Facebook colleagues had bonded over yoga sessions and the name 'Asana' comes from the Sanskrit meaning 'yoga pose'. Yoga ideals underpin the foundations of Asana with team harmony and workflow being at the core.
Asana is designed for all team members to work together as peers, everyone equally responsible for their task and together as a team delivering the project as a whole.
It is designed for teams or organisations of all sizes and boasts an impressive catalogue of customers such as Dropbox, Pinterest, Uber and Airbnb.
Asana has all the features you would expect from a project management tool including, projects, task lists, calendars, reporting and team messaging. For time tracking it has an inbuilt integration with Harvest and integrates with scores of other great productivity apps so you can continue to use the tools your company is already aligned with.
Asana Pricing is similar to its competitors such as Wrike, Teamwork Projects and ProWorkflow. They have a free plan which offers up to 15 team members and unlimited projects, tasks and conversations, but basic search and reporting. Consequently they don't offer a free trial. If you would like to test out some of the paid for features you can sign up and pay per user per month and downgrade if you feel it's not for you. There are no lengthy contracts.
If you feel ready to commit, Asana offers a discount of 2 free months when you pay annually.
Support is liberally offered throughout their site with an impressive library of help articles, videos and how-to's available. The Asana Guide helps you get set up, or expand your use of Asana and there are articles on ways you can use Asana in your organisation. Failing that you can email them for more help.
Features & Options of Asana
Asana Tasks & Projects
- Tasks: Easily create tasks for yourself or assign one to a teammate.
- Projects: Organise your tasks into shared lists or boards for your initiatives, meetings, and programs.
- Sections and Columns: Sections and columns let you customise Asana to match your workflows and add structure to any project.
- Project Templates: Add new workflows to Asana quickly and easily using pre-made templates.
- Subtasks: Break up the work of a task into smaller parts or divide the work among multiple people.
- Convert Task to Project: When a single task becomes a big initiative, quickly turn it into a project.
- Due Dates and Times: Due dates ensure every task gets completed on time.
- Attachments: Add files from your computer, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive to any task or Conversation.
Communication & Collaboration
- Task Conversations: Comment directly on a task, to clarify exactly what needs to be done.
- Project Conversations: Discuss a project’s progress to keep the momentum going.
- Team Pages: Have Conversations and see all of a team’s projects in one place.
- Hearts: Say thanks, give a thumbs up, or vote for a task with a heart. Why “like” when you can ?
- Guests: Collaborate with vendors, contractors, and partners in Asana.
- Private Projects: Limit access to any project, create hidden teams for sensitive work, or make teams public.
Visibility & Navigation
- My Tasks: Plan your day with a prioritised to-do list.
- Inbox: Get automatic updates about just the tasks that matter to you.
- Search: Powerful search helps you find the work you need quickly.
- Dashboards: Check progress on all the projects you care about in one customisable view.
- Calendars: See any list of tasks on a Calendar to get a clear view of when work is due.
- Files View: Find the files you need quickly or see a gallery view of any project’s attachments.
- Task Assignees: Give tasks a clear owner, so everyone knows who’s responsible.
- Followers: Only get updates for the work you care about by following (or unfollowing) tasks and projects.
Administration & Management
- Admin Controls: Admins can remove members, enable SSO or SAML, and export your data.
- Task Dependencies: Mark tasks as waiting on others, and get notified when you can get started.
- Custom Fields: Add fields to any project, so you can track exactly what matters most to your organisation.
- Find the Info You Need: Customise your search with additional fields using Advanced Search. Plus, create and save custom views across projects, assignees, due dates and more.
- Unlimited Dashboards: Add unlimited projects to your dashboard and create dashboard reports in Google Sheets.
- More Members: Add more than 15 members to each team and invite unlimited guests.
- Priority Support: We’ll send your ticket to the front of the queue when you need help.
- Customer Success: Our Customer Success Managers will help you deploy Asana successfully.
- Dropbox: Attach Dropbox files directly to tasks with a built in file chooser.
- Slack: Post updates to a Slack channel when there are changes in your Asana workspace.
- Chrome: Quickly and easily add tasks to Asana from any web page in Chrome.
- Okta: Eliminate passwords and access Asana using your existing corporate credentials.
- Github: Link Github commits to tasks so your team can stay on top of recent code changes.
- Google Drive: The Google Drive file chooser is built into Asana so you can easily attach files.
- Free: The basic version of Asana for teams that are just getting started. Unlimited tasks, projects and conversations, up to 15 team members, basic dashboards and search.
- Premium: US$11.99/member per month or $9.99/member/month paid annually. Powerful enough to run your entire business – unlimited team members and dashboards, advanced search & reporting, admin controls.
- Enterprise: $POA. All the power of Premium, plus more control and support. Advanced admin controls, enhanced data and security, custom branding.
- Small teams with 15 users or less qualify for a small team discount, so the price per user per month is $6.25 when billed annually, and $7.99 when billed monthly.
- The price of Asana Premium is tiered, starting in groups of 5 and 10 users, based on the number of people you have in your Team or Organisation.
- They offer two months for free in exchange for an annual subscription.
Integrations & Add-Ons
What applications integrate with Asana?
- Dropbox: The Dropbox file chooser is built into the Asana task pane, so you can easily attach files directly to tasks.
- Google Drive: The Google Drive file chooser is built into the task pane so you can easily attach files directly to tasks.
- Box: The Box file picker is built into the task pane, so you can easily attach Box files directly to Asana tasks.
- Microsoft Teams Communication: Group conversations in Microsoft Teams can happen side-by-side with an Asana project.
- Slack: Post updates to a Slack channel when there are changes in your workspace.
- Hipchat: Map any Asana project to a HipChat room and subscribe to notifications your team cares about.
- OnBoardify: Achieve InBox Zero. Connect OnBoardify to your Gmail or Outlook 365 account and automatically convert customer emails into tasks that you can track, assign, and manage.
- MailChimp: Every time you get a new MailChimp subscriber, a task will automatically be created with their information stored in it.
- Front: Add conversations from email, Twitter, Facebook, etc. as tasks to Asana.
- MailButler + Asana app integration: Mailbutler is a productivity-boosting plugin for Apple Mail. Sync Apple Mail and Asana.
- Kore: Kore allows you to communicate with apps just like you communicate with people. Create, edit, or delete tasks or subtasks from a message in Kore.
- Skarpline: Automatically receive real-time notifications within Skarpline.
- Instagantt: Create a Gantt chart, schedule tasks in a timeline, and set start dates and dependency lines.
- Everhour: Track time for any activity, and see estimates and total hours spent on it without even leaving the task.
- Google Sheets: Create complex and powerful spreadsheets from Asana projects, or tasks from Google Sheets. Edit and collaborate wherever you are, for free.
- HourStack: Track time on your Asana tasks by dragging them over to your weekly schedule in HourStack.
- Instabug: Get an annotated screenshot and device details with your bug reports by integrating with Instabug.
- Sprintboards: Create simple one-page project status reports from an Asana project with Sprintboards.
- DigiSpoke: DigiSpoke displays Asana tasks in a mind map, allowing you to visualise team workflow, forecast outcomes, and predict progress.
- Hubstaff: Track time spent on tasks with screenshots and activity levels from Hubstaff.
- Weekdone: Generate regular reports and team dashboards from the Asana and Weekdone integration to see how your team is doing at a glance.
- WorkingOn: Discover tasks and automatically add to status updates and report progress across the team, in one central place.
- Timeneye: The Timeneye timer adds a time-tracker button to your tasks to easily measure time spent on them.
- Grow: Track your most important numbers and status from critical Asana projects. Create dashboards with open and closed tasks, team and project completion rates, and other data sources.
- Velocity: Get better insights into your team’s work with powerful custom charts and reporting with the Velocity app integration.
- Chrome Extension: Quickly add tasks to Asana from any web page in Chrome. Add the current URL as a task so you can read articles later or share them with teammates.
- Asana Android and iOS mobile apps: Download the mobile app for your iPhone, iPad, or Android device to plan your day, share ideas, and get team updates on the go.
- Google Calendar: Sync tasks with your calendar right from Asana. Compatible with Google Calendar, iCal, many versions of Outlook, and calendars that allow you to subscribe by URL.
- Zenefits: Create and remove Asana accounts based on HR actions (like hiring and termination) directly within Zenefits.
- Zendesk: Automatically create tasks from new Zendesk tickets, or generate Zendesk tickets from new Asana tasks.
- SupportBee: Create a task in Asana with just one click from the customer email in SupportBee.
- One Login: OneLogin makes it easy to secure and control access to Asana with real-time integration with Active Directory, secure single sign-on (SSO) via SAML 2.0 and automated user provisioning and deprovisioning.
- Okta: Eliminate username and password hassles with Okta. Access Asana using your existing corporate credentials.
- Zapier: Zapier simplifies the integration and automation of hundreds of apps. You can use Zapier to connect Asana with dozens of tools your team uses: Evernote, Github, Gmail, Google Drive, JIRA, Salesforce, Slack, and more — all without writing a single line of code.
- Jotana: Jotana is simple mobile app that lets you easily send tasks from your phone to organise later.
- Trello: Sync with Trello so teams can easily collaborate while using their tool of choice.
- Taco: Prioritise all your existing tasks on one screen from Asana, GitHub, Gmail, and 40+ more services with TacoApp.
- Kasban: View and edit any project in a kanban board view with Kasban.
- CloudWork: Automatically sync with other applications like desk.com, Evernote, GitHub, Gmail, NewRelic, Podio, Wufoo, and ZenDesk.
- Alfred: Quickly add tasks to Asana on Mac using Alfred, without any mousing necessary.
- Templana: Get started more quickly by downloading a prebuilt template through Templana.
- Evernote: Automatically create tasks from new notes or reminders in Evernote, or create Asana projects from Evernote Notebooks.
- Harvest: The Harvest timer is built into the Asana task pane so you can track time for any task without leaving Asana.
- Bitium: Bitium provides cloud-based identity and access management solutions and analytics for small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
- Campaign Monitor: Select Campaign Monitor triggers, then pick an action they correspond with in Asana. For example, you can choose for a new task to be created for every new subscriber in Campaign Monitor.
- AppWise: Universal search across Asana and other services to find your important information in one place.
- Fancy Hands: Assign tasks directly to Fancy Hands assistants.
- CloudMagic: Use CloudMagic to convert emails into tasks while on the go.
- tray.io: Create robust, scalable workflows connecting Asana with tools like Salesforce, Zendesk, Google Sheets, and more.
- Automate.io: Connect to other apps like G Suite, Slack, Trello, Salesforce, Zendesk, and more to automate workflows.
- Integromat: Sync to your favourite apps and tools with triggers and integrations to make your workflow even smoother.
- Github: Seamlessly create, manage and collaborate on your GitHub issues directly from Asana, and vice versa.
- Phabricator: Create tasks to handle code reviews in Differential.
- Usersnap: Annotate screenshots of current bugs or suggested improvements from your browser and send visual bug reports directly to Asana.
- Unito: Seamlessly create, manage and collaborate on development issues directly from Asana, and vice versa. Sign up for free today.
- TrackDuck: Leave feedback and report bugs directly on website designs with TrackDuck.
- Fivetran: Fivetran extracts data from tools like Asana, Salesforce, Mixpanel, and more, centralizing it into a data warehouse for use with your favorite business intelligence (BI) tool.
- JIRA: Automatically create tasks from JIRA issues, and vice versa.
- Pivotal Tracker: Automatically create Pivotal Tracker stories from tasks, or use Pivotal Tracker to create new tasks.
The rating score is a weighted average of ratings from these respected sources.